Sunday, August 2, 2020

Final House Update

We left off a couple weeks ago with drywall and texture and now? 
We are in the final stages of touch ups and landscape. Let me show you everything that's happened.

We got our exterior stone.....


and inside we got cabinets...


then flooring....


then my amazing white paint (SW Alabaster)...



and finally, countertops, which are simply white quartz. 


There was a bit of drama surrounding this slab though. The issue was, because of COVID I had to do my appointment via a Zoom call so everything I picked was shown to me through camera, which was fine, but the stone I was shown and the stone that arrived were NOT the same. If you remember this pic...


The stone looks (quite obviously) pure white, right? Well after it was installed my friend stopped by the house and sent me pics and it was GREY! I thought for sure they had installed the wrong slab (they have a simply grey too so I thought someone ordered wrong.) I called the stone installer who confirmed it was simply WHITE that was installed. I still didn't believe it so after I had worked all day I decided to drive up (40 miles one way!) to see it in person and I snapped this picture as a comparison for the builder...


I laid down an extra piece of subway tile which (from the designers picture and virtual appointment) should have been the same color. I also laid down a light grey swatch, Agreeable Grey, and you can clearly see its a much closer match. Regardless, the builder claims that because I chose white walls (something I fought hard for and paid a huge upgrade fee for) that it changes the tone of other whites around it. Definitely true, but not to this extent. I think a number of things went wrong here: First, their sample is not an accurate depiction of the color, Two virtual design makes it much more difficult to judge color/undertones and Three the white walls are making it seem darker. Kind of unfortunate since its a huge part of the house (huge island and in both bathrooms!) and cannot be changed I'l have to roll with it, and sometimes that's just how design goes. I don't hate it (if I did I would spend whatever I had to right the situation) I think its more that the design I had in  mind will shift a little, and there's nothing surprising about that! Anyone who DIYs or designs knows that no project comes without its surprises so we're finding ways to make it feel more intentional, we'll see how it goes when we move it!



The final projects are mostly exterior focused now: trim needs touch ups and we upgraded to a larger patio that still needs to be poured, then they'll add grass and rock to finish it off. 


At this point we have about 15 days until we get the UHaul and it feels like time is creeping by but the next post here will be us showing the first walk through photos and I CAN NOT WAIT for that part to happen! Keep your fingers crossed for us that the process goes smoothly from here on out <3

---Jackie 

No comments:

Post a Comment