Sunday, October 30, 2016

The dining room update

Remember back on this post when I said we still needed to build a bench for the dining table? Well we sorta JUST did that. Funny story though, Zack is getting quite sick of doing projects at the moment and he was standing his ground that he did NOT want to actually build a bench. He kept telling me to just buy one. So, one night I was like "fine, Ill buy one right now!" and he says "Fine! Do it!" and I did. And I love it more than the one he was supposed to build. :)

But lets go back to how I decided on this bench. At first I couldn't decide whether I wanted two more chairs, and if I did, did I want the same ones that were there? [get the same ones here for $48 each!]
 or did I want 2 fancy ones that I could move to each end of the table? and if I did that, did I want them to be the same linen color? or grey? I kept adding chairs to my cart and then changing my mind over and over again. Plus, all the chairs I really liked were well over $400 for the pair and I wasn't prepared to pay that.



So then, I started looking at benches and sort of had the same issue. Do I want all wood? Or upholstered? Tufted or not? Linen or grey? I was having the hardest time.

Then, I stumbled up this one from Target and I fell in love. I don't know what it is about this bench but I could immediately picture it in the space. The leg color is a no-no for my house but I have easily sanded down the legs of every other piece of furniture I own so I knew I could do this one too. After I added it to my cart [along with two more bar stools] I found that Target was having a sale, spend $200 get $40 off. Score! It brought the cost of the bench down UNDER $100.
Shipping was pretty fast and as soon as I got it home I used 80 grit on my mouse to sand down the larger parts of the legs and then an 80 grit piece folded in half to get into the crevices. After that, I finished it with my go-to stain, Minwax English Chestnut and a whitewash top coat, screwed the legs on and it was done.



I am totally in love with the way it looks AND it has a nice storage area if we ever decide to move it to another area of the house it would work there too! 

Until next time!
xoxo,
Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment